Navigating the busy streets of Atlanta can be a challenge for any driver, and when car troubles arise, professional towing companies become a crucial lifeline. Towing companies like Marietta Wrecker Service work tirelessly to keep our roads safe and clear, but there’s more to a smooth towing experience than you expect. Here, Marietta Wrecker Service will discuss towing etiquette, shedding light on how drivers needing a tow can contribute to a safer and more efficient towing process. Additionally, we will also touch on the Move Over law and share some tips for traveling during the holidays.
Understanding Towing Etiquette
“Towing etiquette” is a mutual agreement between drivers and professional towing companies, ensuring a smoother and safer experience for everyone involved. As a driver, it’s essential to be aware of the following things:
- Safety First – When faced with a breakdown, prioritize safety by pulling over to the side of the road and turning on your hazard lights. Once in a safe location, exit the vehicle carefully, ensuring you are away from traffic. If possible, stand several feet away from the vehicle. This is in case a passing car accidentally hits your parked vehicle resulting in a dangerous accident. The further away from the vehicle, the safer you become.
- Clear Communication – Call Marietta Wrecker Service and provide them with accurate information about your location and the nature of the issue. Communicate any special instructions or concerns to the dispatch employee, ensuring they are well-informed of any precautions they might need to know about.
- Prepare the Vehicle – If time allows and it’s safe to do so, try to move your vehicle off the road or into a parking lot. Make sure your vehicle’s wheels are straight and the parking brake is engaged.
- Patience is Key – Marietta Wrecker works quickly and efficiently, but patience from drivers is appreciated. Allow our trained towing professionals the time and space to perform their job safely.
The Move Over Law: Protect Those Who Help Us
In Georgia, as well as every other state, the “Move Over Law” is in place to protect emergency responders, including tow drivers, while they are in harm’s way. The law requires drivers to move over one lane or slow down when passing a stopped emergency vehicle with its lights flashing. If traffic is too heavy to move over safely, the law requires drivers to slow down below the posted speed limit instead AND to be prepared to stop.
- Move Over, Save Lives – When you see a tow truck or emergency vehicle on the side of the road, move over to the adjacent lane if possible. If changing lanes isn’t an option, reduce your speed and proceed with caution. This year we have had a few deadly accidents due to vehicles colliding with tow trucks. To minimize fatalities, move over! Please slow down and be aware of emergency personnel.
- Awareness is Key – Stay vigilant and keep an eye out for flashing lights, indicating that a towing professional is at work. Be prepared to adjust your speed and position to comply with the Move Over law.
- Educate Others – Spread awareness about the Move Over law among your friends and family. The more people know, the safer our roads become for everyone.
Holiday Travel Tips for Atlanta Drivers
Traveling during the holidays can be stressful, especially when car troubles strike. Here are some tips to ensure a safe and smooth journey:
- Vehicle Maintenance – Before embarking on a holiday trip, make sure your vehicle is in good condition. Check the tires, brakes, and fluid levels to reduce the risk of breakdowns.
- Emergency Kit – Pack an emergency kit with essentials like a flashlight, jumper cables, a spare tire, and basic tools. Being prepared can save time and hassle on the road.
- Plan Ahead – Check the weather and road conditions before starting your journey. Plan your route and allow for extra travel time in case of delays.
- Emergency Contacts – Save the contact information for your towing service and roadside assistance in your phone. This ensures quick and efficient assistance in case of an emergency.
- Mindful Driving – During the holidays, roads can be congested. Stay alert, be patient, and follow traffic rules to contribute to a safer driving environment.
Need Professional Towing? Call Us Today!
As drivers, we all play a role in maintaining the safety and efficiency of our roads. By adhering to towing etiquette, respecting the Move Over law, and adopting safe driving practices during the holidays, we contribute to a positive and secure driving experience for everyone. Towing professionals like Marietta Wrecker Service work diligently to assist us in times of need, and our cooperation can make their challenging job a little bit easier. Remember, towing etiquette is a two-way street, and together, we can ensure the smooth flow of traffic on highways and roads. Stay safe and drive responsibly!